Christmas schedule for Classic FM revealed
The nations favourite classical music station Classic FM have recently revealed their Christmas schedule to complete their 20th birthday including the presenting debut for classical music star Katherine Jenkins and some other big names from the classical music world.
‘An Evening at Downton Abbey’
Starting out on Friday the 21st of December at 8pm Margherita Taylor will present ‘An Evening at Downton Abbey‘ where she will go behind-the-scenes of the hit ITV show and will also play music from heard in the show and listeners will also be able to hear music composed in the era that Downton Abbey is set.
Margherita will also be joined by various cast members including Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham), Penelope Wilton (Mrs Crawley), the show’s creator Julian Fellowes and musical composer John Lunn this is definitely something not to be missed for all Downton Abbey fans.
‘Christmas at Katherine’s’
Making her Classic FM presenting debut is classical sensation Katherine Jenkins. Join her as she hosts ‘Christmas at Katherine’s’ on Sunday the 16th of December from 12pm to 3pm. During this three hours listeners will get to hear a selection of her favourite festive music and tracks from her new album ‘This is Christmas’. The star will also reveal what happens in her household over the festive season as well as reminiscing over the past 12 months of what has been described as an incredible 2012 for the classical star.
Also featuring the biggest names in classical music…
Classic FM is also bringing some of the biggest classical music names to the airwaves for the Christmas period. In a special programme on Ne Year’s Eve at 8pm John Suchet celebrates the career of Andre Rieu in The Magic of Andre Rieu’ . The show will feature two full hours of some of his greatest recordings and listen to an interview with the man himself about his incredibly successful career.
We’re not done yet. On Thursday the 27th of December at 8pm join Classic FM as film expert Tommy Pearson interviews one of the world’s most famous music composers John Williams in ‘John Williams at 80: A Classic FM interview Special’. Listen to the fantastic interview as Williams looks back over his extraordinary career, his 80th birthday and find out why he’ll never truly retire. You’ll also get to hear what he thinks today on the future of film music and how it was for him to write two of his best soundtracks ‘Jurassic Park’ and ‘Schindler’s List’.
What about a carol concert or three?
Over the festive season Classic FM will broadcast three carol concerts including ‘The Carol Conert for the Royal Household at Buckingham Palace’ which will be aired after the Queen’s Speech at 3.05pm. This show will be hosted by former ITN Royal Correspondent and Classic FM presenter Nicholas Owen. If that’s not enough then you can also listen to ‘The Parliament Choir’ which will be aired on Monday the 24th of December at 8pm and ‘Nordoff Robbins’ which will be aired on Christmas day at 8pm.
Classic FM really is the home of Christmas music – and in this, our 20th birthday year, we’re delighted to offer so many special seasonal programmes.
From exclusive carol concerts to special interviews with everyone from Andre Rieu to the cast of Downton Abbey, Christmas on Classic FM is set to be unmissable.
The entire schedule, looks a little something like this and there is definitely something there for everyone:
Schedule of highlights:
- Sunday 16th December, 12pm: Christmas at Katherine’s, hosted by Katherine Jenkins.
- Friday 21st December, 8pm: An Evening at Downton Abbey, hosted by Margherita Taylor.
- Monday 24th December, 8pm: The Parliament Choir’s Christmas Carol Concert.
- Tuesday 25th December, 1pm: The Nation’s Favourite Carols Top 30, hosted by John Brunning.
- Tuesday 25th December, 3.05pm: The Carol Concert for the Royal Household at Buckingham Palace, hosted by Nicholas Owen.
- Tuesday 25th December, 8pm: The Nordoff Robbins Christmas Carol Concert.
- Thursday 27th December, 7pm – John Williams at 80: A Classic FM Interview Special, hosted by Tommy Pearson.
- Thursday 27th to Sunday 30th December, 9pm: Robert Winston On…
- Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th December, 3pm: Wynne Evans’ Guide to Opera
- Sunday 30th December, 12pm: The Best of The Classic FM Interview with Nick Ferrari.
- Monday 31st December, 8pm: The Magic of Andre Rieu, hosted by John Suchet.
- Monday 31st December, 10pm: Classic FM’s New Year’s Eve Party, hosted by Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.
Watch one of the videos created to celebrate Classic FM’s 20th birthday. Watch 12 hours in a studio in 60 seconds.